Sunday, July 11, 2010

A Weekend Full of DREAMS

This weekend was so amazing and impacted my heart in a big way. I had such a great time with everyone that went on the DREAM trip as we served the Lord and had the chance to reach out to others within our own community as well as those that we often do not have the chance to serve and can so easily be pushed aside and be forgotten. Every event that we had a chance to participate in opened my eyes and heart in a new way. From picking up trash on the street to praying for people in front of a bus stop everything was almost in a way indescribable.

For the past three days I was given the amazing opportunity to help lead the Junior High Mission Trip. We worked with the Phoenix Dream Center and got to lend a hand in serving the community of Phoenix in amazing ways. We got the chance to clean up the streets, and though it was a dirty job and it was about eight thousand degrees out it was amazing and I loved every moment of it. It was a chance to make a difference, and even though we may never see how lives are effected by it, its enough to know that we had a chance to make God's masterpiece clean and beautiful.

We also had the chance to help out with the children ministry of Church on the Street. Through this I met some amazing people who will hold a place in my heart for time to come. Just to see how God has changed their lives and filled every hole in their hearts filled me over the top with unexplainable joy. These men and women have had troubled pasts but no matter where they came from or how much they went through they now live their lives for the Lord and serve others with all of their hearts and give all they have to others and that amazed me. Their great determination to bring others to God so they can have the same peace and joy is such a great thing.

Later Saturday night after a full day of serving the Lord we got to spend our time worshiping him. And though I know we were all so tired by that time it didn't matter anymore and for that time for me it was as if all my exhaustion was gone so I could give everything I had to the Lord. Worship has to be one of my favorite activities EVER, it provides a safe place for everyone to just get everything out and put forth praise to God. When I looked around and saw all the people around me so overwhelmed with his love and giving everything they had to him it touched me,there seemed to be a smile on every face in the room and as hands were lifted love filled the entire room.

Then today we got to do what I think was the most impact filled experience of the trip. We participated in the cross-walk, where we had the chance to walk down Van Buren with crosses on our shoulders and share the love of our Lord with everyone we met. We even had the chance to bring two young boys to Christ, and as they accepted him into their lives and repeated the sinners prayer chills came over me because of how amazing that moment was. Later we walked by CASS, and that is where it really hit me. I have always had a place in my heart for the homeless but had never really had understood the intensity of their situation. I can now begin to understand how hard it is for them and it really made me think that I want to do more for them and I want to get more involved with anything I can do to help lift them up after they have fallen so hard.

This entire weekend has opened my heart in new ways. I have been filled with more passion then i ever thought possible and I know I want to do so much more. I spent the weekend with some of my favorite people and had a chance to get out and serve. I will never be able to forget this trip, the things we did, the people we met and the sights we saw. Ive learned so much in just the past few days and I hope to keep this fire in my heart burning strong for the Lord. I feel so blessed that I had the chance to participate in such an amazing weekend of service. :)

- Bekah Wilson, Student Leader

No comments:

Post a Comment